Sunday, March 6, 2011

My life in a box!!!

You know what the best part of being a hoarder is??? BOXES!!! Add to that I am married to a hoarder who is just as bad as me so it makes for twice the boxes!!! Fred and I have recently been going through boxes and more boxes....some of them we havent opened since we left Darwin 11 years ago!!! Yes you read that right boxes unopened for 11 years. Oh the memories that have come out of those boxes ..... our wedding photos, the flowers I carried on our wedding day, old clothing, books, stuffed toys from when Fred and I first got together, cassette tapes (remember those) and the list goes on.

So the dilema is what to do with it all .... do I throw it all out??? I know many of you will be saying if you haven't used it or missed it you dont need  it. Which is all fine and well but there are a lot of memories that I DON'T want to part with but I dont want to put these things out on display either. Obviously the old clothing, which may I say a lot of it is still in good condition will be washed, is heading for the Op Shop ... and there is some stuff that I have wondered "why did I keep this" that will find it's way down to the local recycle and rubbish centre.

The answer to all my problems lies at one of Fred's favourite places to shop  ...  BUNNINGS!!! Plastic crates with clip lock lids. This will be a way to store mine and Fred's precious memories from climate and mice and bugs and we can store them neatly in the garage AND I can label each one with what is in it. I know it's not the ideal long term solution but with the possibility it could be another 20 years before Fred and I ever buy and live in our own home due to his work comittments it is the best we can do for now. Dont get me wrong we did and have culled a LOT of our "junk" but some things I just cant part with  .... how do you throw out your old Brownies beret, belt and badges??? You dont you put them in a plastic crate and then just bring them out from time to time .....

Of course what happens when 2 hoarders have a child??? Yup Little Miss K is now turning into a hoarder!! But hopefully she will eventually figure out the "good" stuff to keep and NOT every scrap of paper she owns!! We are going to have to work on that.

Oh look some more boxes..............

1 comment:

Toni said...

LOL! this is a big problem, even though it sounds funny. I've had to learn to let go of stuff that I loved, but didn't need, but I have the most trouble with anything sentimental.
Keep at it. You'll get there.